Wednesday 25 September 2013

Did I say how much I LOVE this place?

 Today was a late start with a beautiful breakfast of waffles and coconut syrup ( home made by our hosts ) Fresh pawpaw and lime from the garden. Oh my I am loving pawpaw, for 50 something years I have never liked it, but something about them here I just adore! Guava and orange juice with lilikoi  ( pashionfruit ) set us in the Hawaiian mood, so many bird calls to listen to in the grounds and perfect Hawaii weather, humid but not too hot.  Robin and Nanny went exploring the gardens while I had another nap. They picked fruit saw all the beautiful herbs and vegetables growing in the garden.

After lunch of turkey and avocado sandwiches ( again from the garden... not the turkey.. the biggest you have ever seen) we headed out for a drive to explore the sights of the Puna District, Robins local area from his teenage years. The drive was exquisite small country lane with beautiful big trees creating a canopy as they grew against the sea breeze for years. to see the wild ginger growing along the roadside in full bloom was delightful as was seeing the wild orchids growing besides them. Laden bread fruit trees and Lilikoi vines were everywhere, all there for the picking. Thousand of pawpaw trees and guava trees.... is this paradise or what?

We stopped at a beautiful beachside park Robin used to go to named MacKenzie Park, we watched the sea crashing against the Lava Rocks. We saw intrepid fishermen balancing on the rocks with their rods and Mum an I agreed that Dad would have been in his element there. The only other visitors in the park were an old guy and his dog, looked like they were staying the night, his pick up loaded with all his worldly possessions, and a little camp fire going. The dog raised his head as we walked past, but couldnt be bothered barking aloha... The other visitors a couple traveling around in an old beat up van, the lady in a wheelchair, her companion pushed her to the rock edge and let her sit there looking out to sea while he sat in the shade.

We drove on down the lane some more to a place called Kalapana, Robin had often talked about this spot, I knew it held some cherished memories of him surfing out there with his sister Esther, and his brothers Martin, Kurt and Ken. I will let Rob tell you some more when  he does his next post.

When we got to Kalapana to our delight we found out that there was a gathering of the locals going on... it happens every Wednesday night, There is a little market going on there, with some locally made products and lots of produce to sell. A huge eating area where people sit together and chat and share some of the food they have either purchased there or made themselves... it was great to sit among them. I got talking to one of the locals while I was waiting for Rob to come back from parking the car, she told me that the food available was to die for! we couldnt wait to get inside!... so many local foods to try!  We settled for some Barbecue pork and Ribs.... I was thankful that we only got one plate between us! The serving was in true American style  HUGE.

One of the highlights of the market was looking at the Orchids one young man was selling. I have never seen so many gorgeous colours in one plant store. My oh my they were stunning.... I would have loved to have been able to buy one for mum but of course that wasn't an option... so I did the best next thing and took lots of photos and purchased an Orchid Lei for her ( dont tell her it was only $3 )  I figured it was just what Dad would have done for her!
Isn't she just beautiful... I called her Princess Lilikoi





















Sitting amongst the locals while Robin walked and did some filming, I couldn't help noticing that so many of them would have been his age...  probably people who would hang loose on those beaches at the same time as he and his siblings... all the guys had long hair ( grey of course ) some with bald spots and ponytails..... and the lady's had long time ago given up wearing bras, fashion was not important, and their hair had not  seen the inside of a hairdressers for decades, but they were all Happy... I wonder if I could ever fit in here? hmmmmmm   food for thought.

On the way home light was fading fast and so we made it barely with enough daylight left to do a drive by the house that Robin used to live in.  It was a bit hard to see as it was set off from the road, and the trees that Robin planted as a young man blocked a lot of the view....

What an amazing Day.... we felt totally immersed in the Hawaiian culture and surroundings... the day ends with us having a glass of wine and listening to the frogs and night creatures... peace and bliss surrounds us.

I will post pictures I promise!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like the next time you visit Hawaii you'll be purchasing a one way ticket Mumsie! Glad to hear you are enjoying every second of your well deserved holiday. Love you x

    ReplyDelete